Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Memento


Memento


Warmth
Balsa Wood, Beige Paper, Black Thread
3" x 3.25" x 1"


Full

Full

Full

This sculpture explores a personal memory of when I was told I was adopted. I was told at ten years old, after a beach trip, and was shown a photo album of my family made for my birth mom.  
The hard balsa wood cover of the book represents how it was hard and nerve-wracking for my parents to tell me, as they did not know how I would react to being told. But once the book is opened there is warm-toned paper with soft edges to represent how everything ended up going well and how it is a warm memory for me now. The number of pages is 20 which represents the age I am now and how I still look back on the memory fondly. The stitching on the book represents that my family does not need to be blood-related to be a family as we have love which stitches us together and makes us a family. The color of the thread illustrates the mystery of what they were going to tell me and how I thought I might be getting in trouble at first, but it all ended well. The scale represents that while it was a big event in my life, the memory of it is something I want to keep close. 


In-progress 


Sophie Hanagarth
http://www.sophiehanagarth.com/


Lenka Clayton
http://www.lenkaclayton.com/


Julia Harrison
https://www.juliaharrison.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Experimental Sculpture Collection

Experimental Sculpture Collection  Nostalgia  Masking tape, Cardboard, Tracing Paper,  Gel Medium, Balsa Wood, Yarn, Wire, Hot Glue,  Blue a...