Sunday, April 23, 2023

Visual Symbols




Visual Symbols 

Angel
Clay, Gold, and White Ink
6" x 3" x 4"

Full

Full

Detail

Detail


Fallen Angel
Clay, Gold, White, Green, Red, and Yellow Inks
7.5" x 2.5" x 3"

Full

Full

Detail 

Detail 

The clay sculptures entitled Angel and Fallen Angel were inspired by the symbols of angels in religion. My intent was to visually communicate the idea of a heavenly angel and a fallen angel that gave into temptation. I wanted to focus on the religious and cultural symbols of Christianity because I grew up in a Christian household and was taught that if people disobeyed the bible they would end up like the fallen angel. I decided to include the cultural symbol of the snake representing Lucifer on earth and apples representing the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden to represent temptation. I felt the work was not producing the idea I wanted to communicate so I used gold ink to add to the sculpture's representation of angels as gold is often used as a heavenly color. I want to keep exploring the clay medium, as I had never worked with it like this before. I want to keep learning about cultural and visual symbols and how to further my representation of them in art.


In Process

The Nine Orders of Angels in Christian Angelology
This article is about the nine orders of angels in Christianity and what each order represents and their jobs as angels.

How did the Apple Become the Symbol of Sin?
This article is about how the image of an apple became a Christian symbol for the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden and what it represents.

This article is about this bronze sculpture of a fallen angel's history, symbols, and controversy involving the sculpture. 
Anastassia Zamaraeva
https://www.azamaceramics.co.uk/


Susan Lordi
https://www.willowtree.com/about-willow-tree/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Experimental Sculpture Collection

Experimental Sculpture Collection  Nostalgia  Masking tape, Cardboard, Tracing Paper,  Gel Medium, Balsa Wood, Yarn, Wire, Hot Glue,  Blue a...